Monday, February 28, 2011

Dining Room Table and Chairs

I received this dining room table from some dear friends before Jason and I were married.  It was used but Jason and I loved the look and shape of the table and chairs.  We knew we would have a lot of work to do on it though. 


There is sooooo much that needs to be done in this room.  That is probably the reason why I didn't begin refinishing the table and chairs for so long.  


This picture was taken after we stripped and sanded the table.


Here I am putting the first coat of stain on the table.  I was so very nervous!!!


Jason figured out a way to allow the table legs to stand up, which made for easier staining and poly-ing.


This is how we lived for about three months.  It was horrible.  I don't know how people refinish their kitchens from months on end.  We ate at this tiny table in our living room.  Horrible.


This is our dining room.  The corner cabinet is one of two that we bought off of craigslist.  We have since painted them but will post on those another day.


Here I am sanding the chairs in order to prime and paint them.  We debated staining them the same color as the table but I realized that with two little boys, there was not enough time or patience on my part to get them done.  We decided to paint them a dark gray.


Priming.  Enough said.


We finished around fall.  Here is the finished product.  I love them.  It makes eating so much more enjoyable!


Here is the table at Christmas time. 


Such a big project!  So thankful it is done!

14 comments:

  1. I saw your table and chairs posted on Better After, you definitely have improved this set! We have a set that looks about the same and I have been wanting to paint the table black for some time. I think you may have inspired me to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Transformation!!! Nicely done!!!
    Going to do that myself very soon.. Thanks for sharing... (stopping by from B/A)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I ♥ the way that set came out! Just gorgeous and the Christmas setting is so very pretty. Thank you for inspiring me to paint my table and chairs. I have wanted to this for such a long time and just can't seem to make myself tackle it, but I would love to have a lovely set like yours Ü

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi.. I've popped over from Better After! Great job on your table. I stained my oak table black as well.. yours looks nice and shiny. How many coats of stain did you use and then did you put a protective cover over it? I like my matte finish (and they said it had the combo stain/poly in it), but I see tiny pieces that are coming off now, and wonder if I should have put a gloss over it. thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your kitchen table looks! Would you mind sharing what color of stain you used?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know the color of the stain too, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way it turned out. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a very similar table and chairs that I have put off refinishing because- and it looks like on yours too- the finish is so thick. How bad was the stripping/sanding process? And tips on products or techniques that worked better than others? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am considering doing this to my dining room set! Kinda scary but your results make it very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! The sanding process was pretty easy since the finish on the table was already starting to come off! I put 5 coats of stain on the table. The brand of the stain I used was Minwax. The color was Jacobean. I wanted it pretty dark, hence the number of coats. In between coats I used steel wool and then wiped it with a tack cloth. I finished it up with three coats of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane in their Clear Semi-Gloss. It took quite a bit of time because I have two little boys... :) If anyone else has any further questions, please leave a comment or email me and I'll try to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same table and was thinking of doing the same thing! What steps did you take for stripping the table. That seems to be the only thing that is stopping me from getting my table set up

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an improvement. The set looks so rich after the transformation.

    ReplyDelete