Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Window Box Lettuce

My husband is making me window boxes.  We'll have two in the front of the house and one in the back.  I planted flowers in the liners a couple of weeks ago already so that the flowers wouldn't be delayed.  In my back window box, I planted lettuce.  Weird, I know.  But for some reason I needed to grow pretty and delicious lettuce in that window box.  And do you want to know what is really great?  I can open up my kitchen window and cut myself some lettuce any old time I want to.  (When those window boxes are done, that is).

Here is what I have planted in there:


I snipped off what I needed for dinner,


washed it in very cold water, drained it, and


made some dressing.


I went to the my herb garden and picked three different types of basil.  The purple basil is called "Basil Red Rubin" and the smaller kind on the bottom is from a "Basil Minette" plant. 


I sliced them up real nice.


I also picked two different types of mint:  lemon mint and plain, old ordinary mint.


I sliced them up as well.


I added my herbs to the salad along with some blue cheese.  I drizzled my dressing on top and


voila!  Salad, anyone?

Here is my "recipe" for the dressing.

1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
a pinch of sugar (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
freshly ground black pepper

Whisk in a bowl or shake in a jar the above ingredients.  Pour over salad and toss to coat just before serving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment