Friday, June 17, 2011

A Window Box Tutorial



I've been waiting for these window boxes for two years.  They were worth the wait.  I was able to think about how I really wanted them to look.  I did a lot of research and looked through my photos of our trip to Boston.  When we went there a couple of years ago I (like many others) fell in love with their window boxes.  The (lucky) people who live in Beacon Hill do the most amazing things to their window boxes.  We went in the fall and they were decorated so beautifully!  I was so inspired and asked my husband if he thought he could build me some.

We started by finding the most reasonably priced wood (we used pine) we could at our local hardware store.  Jason basically built your average window box to start.  Please pardon the dark, basement pictures.


Here he is nailing it together in our basement on a rainy day.


We took them outside to fill nail holes and sand them.  Here are the filled nail holes.  There were a lot of them.  Sometimes Jason goes a little overboard with the nail gun, which I guess is a good thing, since the window boxes will be exposed to the elements.



Here are the three window boxes after they were built.  The two on the left are for the front of the house.  The one on the right is for the back under my kitchen window.



I primed them and painted them.  I did one coat of KILZ 2 Latex primer (multi-purpose stainblocker) and three coats of an exterior semi-gloss white paint (Olympic).



Here is the molding.  It is made out of PVC and according to my husband, is really easy to work with.  I'll tell you that it paints up easily as well.  We caulked the gaps in the molding and between the wood and the molding with DAP Dynaflex 230 Premium Indoor/Outdoor Sealant.


Jason cut and mitered it and then nailed it into place.




Here are some before pictures of our windows sans window boxes.



Jason found these heavy duty, zinc-plated brackets (8" x 1-1/4")  to hold up the window boxes.  Since we were mounting them on our Lannonstone house, we used Tapcon Concrete Anchors (3/16" x 1-3/4").  We drilled into the actual stone instead of the mortar since the mortar would not have held the weight of the window boxes once they were filled.  He drilled the hole with a Tapcon carbide tipped concrete drill bit (5/32" x 5-1/2").  He also put a bead of silicone over the screw heads to prevent them from rusting.  To drill the holes he used the hammer drill feature on his drill.


Jason drilled two drainage holes on each end.



Here are the finished window boxes with the plastic planters inside.


I love the fact that they dress up the font of our house a little bit and add some curb appeal.





Thank you for the window boxes, Jason!  Boston, thanks for the inspiration!

*****

I am linking this up at Tatertots and Jello, which you can find here,
Home Stories A to Z, which you can find here,
Between Naps on the Porch, which you can find here, and
A Beach Cottage, which you can find here!
All are such lovely blogs! Check them out!

36 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of window boxes! Yours are beautiful. You both did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute house you have!!! I love the addition of the window boxes. Great tutorial. I am featuring this post today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful!! good idea to use the planters inside there. nice job by all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good idea!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're lovely, you guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make a great team! The window plant boxes turned out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the window boxes look great! stopping by from a beach cottage.
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. They do add some great visual interest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/how-to-make-a-windowbox/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great job you did, they really add some cheer to your beautiful house xx Ava (your newest follower from Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I featured this loveliness here on my blog Coffee and their Kisses. I would love for you to come over and grab a featured button. The button is located on the left hand side bar. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post caught my eye because I was outside today hacking and sawing away so that I could make some window boxes of my own! they won't be as fancy, but after going to Germany years ago, I'm excited to have some! Thanks for the great tutorial ;) visiting from tatertots and jello www.shelstring.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These turned out great! I'd love to do window boxes like these one day on our home. I can't believe you made them. Beautiful job! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE IT!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH IM TOTALLY EXCITED!I WILL BE MAKING THESE :) TOO CUTE!
    LEA-ANN XOX

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE IT!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH IM TOTALLY EXCITED!I WILL BE MAKING THESE :) TOO CUTE!
    LEA-ANN XOX

    ReplyDelete
  16. saw your post on pinterest and came over to your blog to see how you did the window boxes. they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did your husband attach box to the back brackets, bottom brackets, or both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Anonymous,
    The vertical part of the L bracket is attached to the stone on our house. The horizontal part (or shelf) is attached to the bottom of the window box with short screws. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much. Exactly what I needed to know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad I found your blog. Perhaps my husband will take a look & change his mind to make a window box for me. I love the bracket idea.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! I love windowboxes but am worried about water rotting the wood. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous~ Here are a couple of thoughts on your question about rotting wood: If you paint the window boxes with quality outdoor paint, they should hold up for quite a while. Also, maintaining them (cleaning them often, clearing them of leaves, dirt, etc.) will help them to last longer. Adding enough drainage holes so that water can exit the boxes will also help. Finally, you can make the whole window box out of PVC boards and moulding. This will eliminate any worry of rot! I hope this helps and answers any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! What are you flowers that you chose? The purple is so nice! Is that lavender in the ground garden (border)? Also, what are the white flowers in your border?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Came over here from Young House Love; your window boxes are adorable! I wish I could get my husband to want to do projects around the house, what a lucky pair you and your hubby are to enjoy doing this kind of stuff together. And as soon as I saw pictures of your house and that you wrote Lannonstone I knew you had to be from the MKE area! My daughter is in the process of buying a house in the Normandy Park neighborhood and your house looks similar to the ones on her block. What a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And ps: the inside of your house is SO lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. When repotting plants put a teabag over the drainage hole and this allows water out but also keep the insects out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Also interested in names of flowers; no sense reinventing the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice DIY! Those window boxes have been a great addition to the front yard of your house. It makes your window even more noticeable and not plain because of what's below them. Kudos to the efforts of your loving husband. Take care!

    Francisco Close @Katch Mark

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much for your tutorial! Am thinking of having a go at these myself. Your house looks so pretty, the window boxes give it a really lovely welcoming style. Well done to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  30. what are the plants you put in them? Are the purple ones petunias? Did you plant small plants the begin with or were they already grown? If this snow ever stops...I want to make these for my house. :) Love them! (www.agingermess.com)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks great! Window boxes are really expensive so making them is a great idea. What size molding is that and did it come from lowes?

    ReplyDelete