Hello! I hope you're all having a wonderful Monday!
The boys and I spent the morning at the park with some of our friends. They must have played really hard because they're both napping right now, AT THE SAME TIME!!! That never happens anymore!
Today I would like to share with you some "art" I created for Henry's room. I knew I wanted to make him something ever since I made art for Oliver's nursery. Mom has to be fair, right? I simply drew some shapes and animals onto some card stock, cut them out, and glued them down onto another piece of card stock. Then I framed it. It was super easy and very cheap. Best of all? Ollie loves it!
I wasn't sure what I was going to do in Henry's room until I picked up the latest PB Teen catalogue in the store. I don't usually pick those up when I go, but for some reason the last time I went into their store I did. As I was flipping through, I saw something that caught my eye on a desk. It was a framed picture of different types of knots used for sailing. I thought it was such a great idea and figured it could be easily replicated. I headed to Michaels and bought a shadow box, some navy card stock, and some thin, white hemp cord.
Next, I searched online for some knot tutorials. I used the website Animated Knots for each of my knots. I found them under the boating section, since Henry's room is decorated with a nautical theme. I watched the tutorials and knotted away! I actually thought this project was really fun. I don't know if a real sailor would approve of my knots, but that's okay with me. I don't plan on buying a boat anytime soon.
I then divided up my card stock and figured out where I wanted each knot. The knots I made were: the bowline, the rolling hitch, the bowline on a bight, the carrick bend, the figure 8 knot, and the reef knot.
I then used one of my stamps to make a label for each knot. I used some white card stock that I already had on hand. It took me awhile to get each label to match and I ended up cutting of the finial things on each end of the label. I wasn't too crazy about how they looked.
I thought about typing out the names of the knots on the computer and then printing them out, but decided I liked writing out the names instead in my own handwriting. After gluing the knots in place, I trimmed the long pieces of cord and then glued the labels in place under the knots. Then I put the card stock back into the shadow box.
Here is the finished product in Henry's room.
The total cost of the project was under fifteen dollars. The shadow box was $10.19, the paper was $.29, and the hemp cord was $1.79.
Once again, I would like to thank Pottery Barn for their never ending inspiration! I wasn't able to figure out who made this knot art first and am unable to give credit where credit is due... If anyone out there knows anything about it, please let me know!
Have a great day, all!
I'm linking up to:
who always has such wonderful ideas! I love her style!